- This event has passed.
It’s a boxcar derby. With beer cans. At a brewery. It’s the Four Peaks Beer Can Derby, and it’s back for Arizona Beer Week 2020. Prepare for all the nonstop drama and heart-pounding action that races between wood blocks on wheels can deliver.
Entry into this year’s epic contest is $10 and includes a starter kit to be picked up at Four Peaks’ 8th Street brewery in Tempe beginning January 28. $5 from each entry will be donated to the Boy Scouts of America, who will also have a presence at the event.
Each starter kit includes everything you’ll need to create your racer: wheels, framing, axles and, of course, empty Four Peaks cans. You can add additional design and weight elements to your kit, but you must use the provided wheels and axles, and you must incorporate at least one Four Peaks beer can into the design. (Decor and other elements that make your car unique and badass, however, are highly encouraged.) Scroll to the bottom of the page for the full list of rules.
The prizes are as follows:
- First Place: $100 Four Peaks gift card, trophy, fame
- Second Place: $50 Four Peaks gift card, trophy, slightly less fame
- Third Pace: $25 Four Peaks gift card, trophy, still some fame but not as much as those first two
- Most Creative Racer: $25 Four Peaks gift card
And for the third year in a row, we’ll be inviting our fellow Arizona brewers to compete in an all-Arizona brewery bracket. Cheer on your favorite local breweries as they battle for pinewood derby dominance!
Just want to watch the races? It’s free to spectate, and $1 from each pint you buy during the event will be donated to the Boy Scouts of America.
All race entries must be purchased online. Race kits can be picked up beginning January 28 at the studio store at Four Peaks 8th Street (1340 E. 8th Street in Tempe). Save your receipt and show it at the time of pickup to receive your kit.
Here are the full rules:
- The wheels that propel your racer must be the ones included in your Starter Kit.
- Your racer must include elements from at least one Four Peaks beer can.
- The maximum allowable parameters for racers are as follows:
- Max. Width: 3.75″
- Max. Height: 8″
- Max. Length: 10″
- Max. Weight: 12 oz.
- All race cars must be gravity racers and can have no additional propulsion of any kind. (This includes but is not limited to: fans, compressed gas, electric motors, explosives and flux capacitors.)
- Once your car is weighed and entered, no further alterations can be made.
- Races will be held between two cars at a time on random and alternating track lanes. Each race will be best of three, with the winner advancing and the loser moving to the consolation bracket. In the rare event of a tie, the race will be repeated until a winner is established.
- Any disputes will be settled by a designated Four Peaks judge, whose ruling will be final.
- All racers must be constructed from the materials included in this year’s kit. Cars entered in previous years will be allowed to run races, but cannot win any prizes.